It's not really close to being done, but at least part of the reason I've been posting less here lately has been due to work on a New Testament time line. The work is pretty incomplete, but since I've not had much time to work on it in the past few weeks, I have decided to publish it anyway. I'll hopefully have some time to add on to it in the future with additional commentary, links, et c.
Part of the delay is that I've finally made a serious push to read through Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God, a substantial, well-researched tome. I'm sure the bibliography could keep me busy for the rest of my life.
My main motivation with the time line was to see how the book of Acts fits in and corroborates historical data points. It's fair to say that most history of the time is written to different standards than today, but Luke stands out among the better historians of the ancient world (Xenophon, Thucydides, Tacitus, Suetonius, Josephus, et al.), even though his works are comparatively shorter. I also wanted to collect basic discussions of the dates of the NT books, their provenance, and arguments.
My notes are woefully incomplete; I beg the reader's pardon.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete