When I started this blog, I thought I could be fortunate enough to be like GK Chesterton, who seemed to have an opinion about everything. To that end, I thought I'd add comments on the news, current events, and other such things in a manner informed by my Christianity. That never really happened, since my passions are rooted in theology. There are times, of course, when the secular news world intersects, especially recently.
The latest science news that caught my eye was that scientists discovered neutrinos moving faster than light speed. If this is true—and the scientists involved are pretty puzzled—Einstein's theory of relativity may be controverted. The importance of this really cannot be overstated. My immediate thought is that it lends some credence to the possible inversions of cause and effect described by the Bell Inequalities of quantum physics (which state that either everything is in some way touching, or that cause and effect are not always related).
This sort of thing shows how science works. Improving observational techniques (the paper notes that in 2006 the instrumentation required for the precision achieved wasn't available at the lab) lead to somewhat unexpected results. I'll be intrigued to see how this story progresses.
No comments:
Post a Comment