Monday, March 27, 2006

My Own Cynicism

An additional introductory note to be made is that I harbor my own cynical attitudes, some that I'm aware of and some that I'm not. I imagine, should this blog gain any readership, that such will be exposed.

Most of my cynicism, though, is confined to modern Christianity. I have some valid criticisms (e.g., of the evangelical craze that distorts the so-called Great Commission, of the praise and worship movement, Arminianism, and the like), but it is easy for me at the same time to overgeneralize and despair of anyone really ever reading the Scripture.

I point this out to hopefully establish my own perceptions of the modern cynic: a pessimist unwilling to try to fix the problem. In my own experience, I find that Christians have a poor understanding of the Bible and are unwilling to study it. This has soured my opinions of the scholarship and abilities of many of my brethren and led me to assume the worst. And having done so, to either give up on communicating what I think is true, or assume a tone of hopelessness.

In the main, I see a typical cynic the same way. I quote, as an example:
If we were activists, we'd do something constructive about our discontentment. But we're smart enough to know that we won't prevail, and probably a little too lazy to attempt any labor that's predestined to fail.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldnt say that your cynicism is confined to religious ideologies, nor that your pessimism is confined to merely the human race. I promise you I wont read this often, because it is certainly not for me, but for the plumbing of your own depths. I am sure I do that enough. To say that most cynicism is not tempered by grace is a good thought and I hope you run with it and learn from it. I love you, and I am always here to kick your butt. Though maybe if I were cynical, I would do it pre-emptively. ;)

    ReplyDelete