So I was recently turned on to Theologica by a couple friends. I don't know that I'll post there often, as my interest in online theological debate has waned some over the years as I have realized how little I actually know. (I suppose it's that, and the fact that I prefer to be a student these days.)
It seems like it could be quite interesting, regardless, and if there's actually anyone other than those couple friends who reads this, you should look at it.
The Other part of the title stems from a Sunday incident, when I was accosted by an older, nearly bald man (save some longer hair tied back—I hope the Lord takes all of my hair instead, though I admit if sin is its own worst consequence, he'll likely repay my vanity with something like it) who revealed in me a startling inadequacy in verbally discussing my theological convictions.
After introducing ourselves, he mentioned he was interested in finding a Bible study; he appreciated the Christ-centered sermons and hoped to involve himself further—specifically with younger people. He preferred them for their zeal. The discussion winded a little ways on, and he then told me he wanted to start a Messianic Jewish church. I asked him if he was a Messianic Jew—negative, but "That's where it's at." Specifically he was keen on the deity of Christ, which warmed me to him some.
But he proceeded to blurt out a lot of works-based forumlae for salvation, and then completely flabbergasted me with the statement that some guy (by saying which, I think he meant "idiot") at Westminster Presbyterian taught that it was the faith of Christ that saves us, not our own faith. While I have some reservations about saying it that way, I got the gist and was surprised anyone at a reputable seminary would teach something like that.
He was considerably disturbed by the doctrine and Calvinism in general; I don't think he understood it very well. His verbal onslaught reduced me to half-hearted attempts to direct him to the list of Bible studies in the church; I have never met someone who simultaneously hit on all those points at once in a negative way in roughly three minutes of frantic speech.
I suppose my lack of enthusiasm (zeal, I guess he would say) probably has left him thinking I don't understand a lick of it all and he had better find someone else to talk to. (I confess I am not too upset by that.) Yet it highlighted for me how poorly prepared I was for a blindsiding of that variety.
I suppose there was no question in his statements, but undoubtedly there was challenge; and I had no idea what to say. I'm sure the meeting was providential (made possible by redemption, eh? ;), but I haven't the foggiest about the purpose, unless it is simply to sharpen my sword and better soldier. And perhaps that is the impetus for finally getting a Theologica account.
No comments:
Post a Comment