Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Verses

Since most of my three readers will not be receiving a Christmas card from me this month, I thought it would be good to post the verses I have included in my cards this year. There's a PDF available if you'd like something to print out.

The texts follow:

The angel said to him, "Fear not, Zacharias!" And the angel said to her, "Fear not, Mary!" And the angel said to shepherds, "Fear not! For behold, I bring you the gospel of great joy: unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest!" (Luke 1.13,30; 2.10,13)

Who is this King of Glory? He is the LORD, strong and mighty. We beheld his glory, the glory as the only begotten of the Father. And his name is called "The Mighty God." (Psalm 24.8, John 1.14, Isaiah 6.9)

This mighty God has done great things for you that you might serve him without fear. Many, O LORD my God, are your wonderful works that you have done, and your thoughts toward us. If I could declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered:
You forgive all our iniquities and heal all our diseases.
You redeem our life from destruction, and crown us with lovingkindness and tender mercies.
You satisfy us with good things, and renew our youth like the eagle’s.
You execute righteousness and judgment.
(Luke 1.49,74; Psalm 40.5, 103.3-5)

Now Jesus offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared, committing himself to the one who judges righteously:
I will declare thy name to my brethren, and in the midst of the congregation I will praise thee. Ye that fear the LORD praise him! O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together; for I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears; he has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, neither has he hid his face from him—but when he cried unto him, he heard.
(Hebrews 5.7; 2 Peter 2.23; Psalm 22.22,23; 34.3,4; 22.24)


I wanted to connect some central themes of the gospel ("fear not," God's glory and might, his works for us) to the person and the work of Christ. I limited myself to a page (including footnotes for the references). It was difficult to put everything together as I wanted.

I think it came out well, though, and it really does highlight so many important pieces of the gospel. Glory to God in the Highest, indeed. We have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment